Monday 26 February 1996

Old faithful - the droopy dipole

My accommodation, one of a number of specially converted ISO containers doubled up as my shack. Luckily, I had a room to myself, and there was ample desk space to set up the Rig and allow sufficient space for writing. I decided to start with what I new best. I did some quick calculations and raided the stores. I quickly found some 2-3 mm copper wire, some coax, some insulators, a chocolate box and some para-cord and lashed up a droopy 1/2 wave dipole between the corner of my container and an anchor point on a nearby rocky outcrop. Being so close to so much metal was not an ideal site by any stroke of imagination. There was also very little I could do about the orientation of the antenna and it was only about 8 ft above the ground at the centre.

Back in the shack, I had great expectations but no real idea what to expect. However, within a day of so I stumbled on a Radio Telephone patch through service being offered by Radio Amateurs for personnel at the US Base in Antarctica and got my first contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment